Friday, March 20, 2009

Defying Gravity...Wicked the Musical

The day finally arrived...Wicked, I was so excited and had been excited to see it... I'd been reading the book...aiming to get it finished before i would see the performance...I didn't finish it but i will...but the musical is totally different than the book,
  1. The book has alot more characters in it
  2. The book is ALOT darker
  3. The book's plot is totally different
  4. The book's more adult
So the row I'm sitting in, there's a mother, a father, and their son...and some friends it seemed like next to them. The dad's discussing with their friends about the book and how he's reading it to his son. Now the son, is probably no older than 11 years-old. I over heard that they had only started the book and what not but if the dad is reading the book to his son I realised, how's he gonna explain the 'steamy' chapter? lol... anyway i don't wanna give too much away but read it! its Wicked :)

I can't wait to finish the book...but I loved the musical and i think anyone would! In terms of which is better? i think i preferred the book a little bit better but that is just slightly. I don't know its too hard to say. I loved the musical and i loved the book. The actors/actresses and the set...which i have a picture of was all great...there might be some things on YouTube which you could maybe check out...but there's this one musical number called Defying Gravity which actually sent shivers down my back...you've probably seen it on TV or something if not...search for it or go see the musical and look out for it! Great Performance! :)

For those a little confused as to what it is, I'll recap; Its a musical based on the novel by Gregory Maguire, which follows the life and death of the wicked witch of the west, Elphaba, her sister, Nessarose and the 'good witch from the north' Glinda. I watched the wizard of Oz A LOT as a kid and my parents will vouch for that and I'd say its one of my favourite movies of all time. But I'd say now that I've seen the musical and read the book, you kind of see oz differently. If you read it you know what i mean :) But I'm done with this post for now.

1 comment:

  1. Saw it in Chicago. Absolutely loved it! Kerry Ellis recently did a few rock versions of the Wicked songs which are amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P-cMh4QjYA
    Have fun while you still can, bro!

    ReplyDelete

Hey thanks for the comment guys...i gotta review the shizzle first so it'll not appear for a bit :)

Scottie :)